Notre-Dame Cathedral, the Palais de Justice and Sainte Chapelle continue to draw tourists to the Ile de la Cité, despite extensive redevelopment of the island in the last century.
Along with the Sainte-Chapelle, la Conciergerie was part of the royal Palace here on the Ile de la Cité. The gothic vaulted Salle des Gens d'Armes and massive kitchens with four huged fireplace remain from the medieval palace, which gradually became a prison under the watch of the Concierge.
Outside, the Tour de l'Horloge, built in 1370 and carefully restored, was the first public clock in Paris.
At the eastern end, a bridge connects with the Ile Saint Louis, a former swampy pastureland transformed into a residential area with pretty, tree-lined quays.
Though Ile Saint Louis hosts no remarquable monuments, it can be considered as one of the most pleasant places for a stroll. It has retained the charm of past centuries as well as authenticity.
Noted for its provincial calm, somptuous mansions (built between 1627 and 1664) and quaint shops; the island is one of the main attactions for Parisians.
|Marais-Beaubourg-Les Halles-Bastille||Paris Home Page|
|Quartier latin||Saint Germain des Près|
|[Postcards from Paris]||[ Home ]||[ Regions ]||[B.B.S.]|